An often asked question nowadays by the business managers “after we start SEO how long does it take to get on page one….beat our competition…reach the top spot…?” or any other variation of the same question about SEO. Far fewer people ask what happens when search engine optimization is stopped.
We all know that Google values fresh content. Fresh content is a significant factor in positively influencing ratings. The logic here is that the more frequently you update your site, the more frequent Google’s crawling spider visits the site. This gives you the opportunity to achieve better ranking in the search results. Although you can update your site in several different ways but writing new blog posts tends to be the simplest way to generate fresh content.
For instance, if you have an internet blog and you post regularly. Suppose on that blog you would write or podcast 2 or 3 times per month then drive traffic and links to those posts using social media and a well-architected SEO campaign. For the next 2 years you post frequently but after two years you stop then what happens to your SEO is illustrated…..
For the first few months, the number of total new visitors and traffic from organic search (SEO) remained relatively constant. But from the fifth-month organic search traffic started to drop and continued to drop over the following months. Over time if SEO is not maintained then rankings and traffic will slip. Competitors who do maintain SEO consistently will overtake or you’ll simply slide with the absence of fresh content and new links coming to your site. Google and other search engines consider the freshness of your content as an important ranking factor as well as the recent activities of sites linking to you. If you are not creating new content and you do not have new links coming to your site from other web pages, your site will be deemed (over time) increasingly less relevant.
Thanks for the exercise done by Neil Patel from Quicksprout.com
SEO’s most often recommend blogging as
- Blog content is easily syndicated.
- Blogs provide an additional opportunity to be found in search results, specifically through blended search and vertical search results (Google Blog Search)
- Blog writing style and objectives are such that it’s easier to persuade business owners to link out to other sources (particularly other blogs) which can make it easier to gain recognition and catch attention from those likely to also “link out”.
- At the least there are dozens (if not hundreds) of locations online to submit blog information for indexing and traditional link building opportunities.
Some Key stats about blogging is
- Brands that create 15 blog posts per month average 1,200 new leads per month.
- Blogs give websites 434 percent more indexed pages and 97 percent more indexed links.
- Blogs on company sites result in 55 percent more visitors.
- B2B companies that blog generate 67 percent more leads per month than those that do not blog.
In order to maintain and grow your search engine results, SEO should be maintained consistently. If you stop temporarily then unlike the lemming your site will not drop off the cliff, but leave SEO for too long and you’ll begin a slow slide back to the bottom.
So SEO is a lot like stopping anything;-
- Guitar practice
For the first sessions of missed activity, you’ll notice little difference. Skip a session or two and you’ll easily jump back in where you left off lifting the same weights, running the same distance or strumming the same difficult chords. But leave it longer and you’ll find it increasingly difficult to perform. Your arms get weak, your legs heavy and your fingers and mind slow. SEO is the same, miss a month or even two and your drop in results will be negligible. Stop for 6 months or more and it’s like you never got started. Avoid your return to square one and maintain your SEO campaign consistently. Blogging accomplishes much more than simply demonstrating your expertise and building trust. It plays a major role in SEO, and the frequency of your blogging can determine how much traffic you bring in, how many leads you generate, and ultimately how many conversions you make. So it is very essential and important factor to keep blogging for your business for SEO.